Original code derived from A Temporal Chronology of the Primes. Also go here for Earth time conversion.
Guide to Campaign Dating Systems
- DR - Dale Reckoning: The main system used in Toril, dated from the raising of the Standing Stone by the elves of Cormanthyr and the Dalefolk in 1 DR. Also known as Freeman's Reckoning (FR).
- CR - Cormyr Reckoning: Dated from the founding of Cormyr in 26 DR (1 CR).
- NR - North Reckoning: Dated from when Ahghairon became the first Lord of Waterdeep in 1032 DR (0 NR).
- PR - Present Reckoning: New system dated from the Time of Troubles in 1358 DR (0 PR).
- NY - Netheril Years: System used in the ancient empire of Netheril, dated from the foundation of Netheril in -3859 DR (1 NY).
- UC - Ulutiun Calendar: Dated from the death of Ulutiu in -2550 DR (0 UC).
- UY - Untheric Calendar: Dated from the crowning of King Gilgeam of Unther in -734 DR (1 UY).
- WY - Waterdeep Years: Archaic system dated from the beginning of annual trade at the future site of Waterdeep in -1088 DR (1 WY).
- MC - Mulhorandi Calendar: Dated from the foundation of Skuld by the god Re in -2135 DR (0 MC).
- Y - Calendar of Shou Lung: The main calendar used in Kara-Tur, dated from the ascendancy of Nung Fu as the first Emperor of Shou Lung in -1250 DR (Y0). The same calendar is used in T'u Lung, but it is known (naturally) as the Calendar of T'u Lung.
- Wa - Calendar of Wa: From Kara-Tur, dated from the ascendancy of the first Goshukara emperor in -417 DR (Y833, 1 Wa). A previous dating system was based on era, emperor names and the year of their reigns, but has not been used since 1 Wa.
- Kozakuran Calendar: The system used in Kozakura in Kara-Tur, based on the ascension of Mori, first Emperor of Kozakura in -74 DR (1/1, Y1177). The calendar is formatted #/#, with the number before the slash equal to the current 60-year cycle, and the number after the slash equal to the current year in that cycle. For example, 11/19 is the 19th year of the 11th cycle, or the 619th year of Kozakura.
- Al-Qadim: Although Zakhara doesn't have any formally-named dating system, the years can be dated from the discovery of the Law of the Loregiver in Year 1 (776 DR).
- DY - Dragon Years: Not converted here, Dragon Years are an ancient system once used in Toril but fallen into obscurity, based on ten 200-year cycles, each for a dragon color that changes every 2000 years. The system is so far out of use that it was unsure in 1365 DR whether it was year 143 or 145 of the Adult Red Dragon.
- CY - Common Year: The main system used on Oerth, dated from the crowning of Nasran, the first Overking, in Rauxes in 1 CY.
- OC - Olven Calendar: Dated from the foundation of the Four Elven Realms of the East in -4462 CY (1 OC). The calendar was adopted by spelljamming elves as the Olven Chronicon (see below).
- OR - Oeridian Record: Dated from the swearing by the Oeridian tribes of the Oath of Unity, joining them together against aggression from the Suel and Bakluni, in -644 CY (1 OR).
- SD - Suloise Dating: The system of the ancient Suel Imperium, dated from the Suloise wizard Obendar's first capture of genies to empower his people in -5515 CY (1 SD).
- BH - Baklunish Hegira: The system of the ancient Bakluni, dated from the Bakluni people's discovery or construction of Tovag Baragu in -2659 CY (1 BH).
- FT - Flan Tracking: Dated from the foundation of the first Flanae city, Haradaragh, in the Lortmil Mountains in -2150 CY (1 FT).
- PC - Prae Cataclius and AC - Alt Cataclius: The major system of Krynn. Year zero (0 PC/0 AC) is the Cataclysm, which changed the face of Krynn forever. Years before the Cataclysm are in Prae Cataclius or "before the Cataclysm" (for example, 100 years before the Cataclysm is 100 PC). Years after the Cataclysm are in Alt Cataclius, or "after the Cataclysm" (100 years after the Cataclysm is 100 AC). This system was used up to 383 AC.
- SC - Saer Cataclius: "Second Cataclysm" - The newest system on Krynn, adopted after the Chaos War ended in 0 SC (383 AC).
- BC - Before Crowning and AC - After Crowning: The main system used on Mystara, centered around year zero (0 BC/0 AC), the crowning of the first emperor of Thyatis. Years before that date are in BC, and years after that are in AC.
- AY - Alphatian Year: System used by the Alphatians, dated from their arrival from Old Alphatia in 1000 BC (AY 0).
- HC - Haelyn's Count: The most commonly used system on Cerilia, dated from the ascension of Haelyn to divinity during the Battle of Mt. Deismarr in 0 HC.
- Ma - Masetian Reckoning: System used by the Khinasi, dated from the end of the Flight from Shadow and the arrival of humans on Cerilia in -515 HC (0 Ma).
- MC - Michaeline Reckoning: System used in Anuire and Rjurik, dated from the death of Michael Roele in 973 HC (0 MR).
- BC - Barovian Calendar: The main system used in the Core of Ravenloft, originating in the domain of Barovia and dated from the foundation of the Prime Material Barovian nation by Strahd von Zarovich's ancestors in 1 BC.
- FC - Forfar Calendar: System used in Prime Material Forfar and carried over into the domain of Forlorn, beginning in -1387 BC (1 FC).
- LC - l'Morai Calendar: System used in l'Morai, beginning in -953 BC (1 LC).
- MC - Mordentish Calendar: System used in Prime Material Mordent, and carried over into the Ravenloft domain, beginning in 267 BC (1 MC).
- The Lamordians have their own calendar as well, as evidenced from Victor Mordenheim's journal, but Mordenheim left off the century. For example, Adam's creation was in November of the year '15, equivalent to the year 683 in the Barovian Calendar.
- FY - Free Year: The newest system used in the Tyr region of Athas, established in FY 1 (190th King's Age, Priest's Defiance (Y26)) when King Kalak of Tyr was slain by heroes and all the slaves freed by the new king, Tithian.
- World's Age and King's Age: The oldest and still most widespread system in Athas, it operates in 77-year cycles, with each year having its own name. The system dropped the words "ocean" and "island" at the dawn of the Green Age (8th World's Age, Island's Agitation (Y14)), replacing them with "silt" and "desert" (respectively). The system was renamed "King's Age" in 9th King's Age, Ral's Fury (Y1).
- OC - Olven Chronicon: Adopted by spelljamming elves from the Olven Calendar of Oerth.
- Ha - Factol Hashkar's Reign: Dated from the first year of Factol Hashkar's ascension to leadership of the Fraternity of Order in 1 Ha, this was the most common system used in Sigil. Previous factol's reigns were used for the years before Factol Hashkar. It is unknown whether this system will be continued after the death of Factol Hashkar, since the Fraternity was banished from Sigil and no new official factol had yet been appointed as of 130 Ha.
Campaign Link Dates
Rejected Campaign Links
- Forgotten Realms - Kara-Tur: Although no solid link date has been established, the present days of the original Forgotten Realms and Kara-Tur boxed sets are considered to be contemporary; thus 1357 DR (Realms) and Y2607 (Kara-Tur) are equivalent. (1357 DR = Y2607)
- Forgotten Realms - Al-Qadim: According to the Timeline of Zakhara in the Al-Qadim Netbook, 1367 DR is equivalent to Year 592 of Al-Qadim. Although this link-date is not sourced, it seems reasonable, placing the present days of 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms and Al-Qadim as contemporary. (1367 DR = Year 592)
- Forgotten Realms - Greyhawk: The article "Magic in the Evening" in Dragon Magazine #185 connects the years 1360 DR (the Forgotten Realms novel Parched Sea) and 580 CY (the adventure Vecna Lives!). This link is also reinforced by the implication in the Ravenloft/Forgotten Realms crossover adventure The Forgotten Terror that 1367 DR and 751 BC are equivalent (see Greyhawk-Ravenloft-Planescape below). (1360 DR = 580 CY)
- Greyhawk - Ravenloft - Planescape: These campaigns are linked by the late-2nd Edition adventure Die Vecna Die! Vecna leaves Ravenloft in 755 BC (according to the Ravenloft Campaign Setting 3rd Edition), enters Sigil not long after the Faction War (130 Ha), and returns as a lesser god to Oerth in 591 CY (according to the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer). (591 CY = 755 BC = 130 Ha)
- Dragonlance - Dark Sun - Planescape: These campaigns are linked by the Planewalker's Handbook, set in 128 Ha; the Chaos War on Krynn (383 AC/0 SC) and the events of the Dark Sun adventure Black Spine (FY 6) are referred to as recent events. (383 AC/0 SC = FY 6 = 128 Ha)
- Mystara - Ravenloft: This is one of the more tenuous links; Meredoth, Darklord of the Nocturnal Sea, was sent to the "wild and untamed" land of Norwold on Mystara. King Tylion IV of Alphatia, who reign began in AY 1919 (919 AC), initiated the first major colonization of Norwold. Assuming (from the "wild and untamed" statement) that Meredoth was in this first wave of colonists and arrived in 919 AC, he was drawn into Ravenloft two years later (921 AC), arriving in 635 BC (according to Domains of Dread). (c. 921 AC (Mystara) = 635 BC (Ravenloft))
- Birthright - Planescape: The most tenuous link, this is based on the Planescape supplement On Hallowed Ground, published not long after the Planewalker's Handbook (128 Ha). In its description of the Cerilian Pantheon, it refers to the Battle of Mount Deismaar (0 HC) as an event occurring about 1500 years ago. Since the present day of Birthright was 1524 HC, I assumed that the two campaigns' present days were roughly equal. (c. 1524 HC = 128 Ha)
- Earth - Mystara: This vague link is provided by the official TSR document "Chronomancy and the Multiverse," which placed Diane de Moriamis' home time in around the year 1600. She came to Mystara in 1012 AC, according to the Vaults of Pandius site. Combined with Odiare's home time (a mere 12 years later) being between 1550 and 1700 (being a "Renaissance" domain), this seems a probable date; as exact as possible given current data. (1012 AC = c. AD 1600)
- Any Ravenloft links not named above - the Mists are notorious for displacing their victims in time as well as space, so I took only links of that sort with a grain of salt. This includes the links for Greyhawk (from King of the Dead), the other links for the Forgotten Realms (as explained better in John Mangrum's unofficial timeline), Dragonlance (Knight of the Black Rose and Spectre of the Black Rose), and Dark Sun (the domain of Kalidnay). In some cases this creates some chronological oddities, such as characters going backward in time to Ravenloft, but the other links are more solid.
- Spelljammer novels and Dragon Magazine #196 - These link Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms together through the Spelljammer novels- the article "Novel Ideas" dates the novel Into the Void to 1361 DR, and its predecessor in the series (Beyond the Moons) takes place five years after the War of the Lance (358 AC). However, this date counters all other Dragonlance link dates, as well as pushing Dragonlance even further into the future than it already is.
Campaign Timeline Links
- Realmspace: Geonomicon - The site that inspired this work, most significantly the Temporal Chronology of the Primes: including Forgotten Realms as the base, it includes Kara-Tur, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and Planescape - although it follows a number of assumptions my conversion disagrees with. This site also has extensive Forgotten Realms timelines (especially the Annotated History of the Forgotten Realms) as well as Iconochronos, a Dragonlance timeline.
- Unified Timeline of the Spheres - Another attempt to compare timelines, this one focusing on the Spelljammer timeline. It also uses different standards than mine.
- None yet! But that may change soon...